Saturday, October 23, 2010

Oktoberfest

We travelled to Idaho a couple of weeks ago to attend Oktoberfest 2010.  This annual celebration started 35 years ago as a modest Family Home Evening (honoring Germany where my father served his mission) and has grown to become a large gathering of family and friends, many of whom travel long distances to enjoy the magnificent feast.  I think we had 35 attendees this year!

A few of these pictures are borrowed from my Aunt Joan and Aunt Pam (thanks!!).  They took some great shots of the set-up and food.  Hansen and I were too busy cooking schnitzel to document the whole evening.

These plates won't be empty for long!

Hansen on schnitzel duty

 
My favorite dish: Rohtkohl

The menu included: Schnitzel, Rotkohl, Wurst, Spaetzle, Lemon Meatballs, Rouladen, Potatoes, Pickled Veggies, and Sauerkraut.  It was DELICIOUS.

The Founder with two long-time attendees, lovely sisters Pam and Joan

Eloise and Joan

Blake likes Chester

Grandma Jeanie and the Babies

3 Generations of Oktoberfesters

After dinner, enjoying one another's company.  Except for Jasmine--Hansen said we should forgive her since she's obviously got GREAT taste in literature.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you chronicled the sumptuous feast! My culinary world has descended into weltschmerz since Oktoberfest (couldn't resist using my word of the day, formed by combining the German words for "world" and "pain").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oktoberfest is just the BEST traditional Family Feast EVER! You and Hansen have got it DOWN making the schnitzel! It was Mindy's and Jodie's first time to an Oktoberfest, and now they are raving about it.
    "John is a genius" (your dad's chant to Kay and Joan) in coming up with Oktoberfest for our whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...I happened to be hungry while reading this blog post, which is not a great thing for me since I can't have that delicious-looking plate of piled high German eats. What a fun tradition - I love it!
    *You're looking smashing, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know your favorite was rohtkohl. Well, how WOULD I know since I never come to the party! I love it, too. We make it every Thanksgiving and I have instructions written by your mother that are just the highlight of the year for me. No one writes a recipe like Cindy! John's a genius! John's a genius! I've bucket listed this party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so fun seeing you and Hansen and meeting sweet little Eloise. I have to add that Tom was also a co-founder of the event since he also served a mission to Germany and Switzerland. I don't think we've ever missed an Octoberfest :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was SO fun seeing you & meeting Hansen & DARLING Eloise (who's name I LOVE). And seriously the Schnitzel was to die for. Seeing these pics makes my mouth water all over again. I am officially an Octoberfest convert.

    ReplyDelete